Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing #15

Every time I want to read the spolier of a movie or find out who played a character in a movie, I go to Wikipedia. Whoever thought of the idea of being able to post a topic and allow the world to create or have input on the information was a genius. I don't think I've found one topic that I've thought about looking on Wikipedia for that I couldn't find. This lesson taught me that there is more than just Wikipedia though.

I took quite a bit of time browsing the Book Lovers Wiki. By the time I'd finished, I had a list of new books to read and even places to order the books for less than half of the publisher's price. I have a friend who teaches computer science, so I sent him the website address for the Computer Science Wiki.

The Sandbox was fun but the image I wanted to upload was too large. I finally learned the ease of how to edit a wiki page. I may just become a contributor to Wikipedia someday. One activity that I thought of for my Science class is to use the classroom set of laptops to create a Wiki of Science Notes. I could assign each group in my 4 classes a topic. Their challenge would be to add something of importance to the Wiki for their topic. No group could repeat anything already stated on the Wiki. At the end of the day, I could print out the Wiki topics, and copy the notes for each student.

No comments: