Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thing #23

Learning 2.0 is a discovery learning program created by Helene Blowers and adapted by the California School Library Association and others. Content and style for Learning 2.0 - 23 Things has been borrowed and duplicated with permission, under a Creative Commons License.

This class itself is based on the idea of another class--43 Things. The creators of 23 Things undoubtly had to start with a small spark to become what it has become today. During this class, we used Flickr. Flickr itself is based on other photo sharing and storage sites such as Yahoo Photos (which is now Yahoo Flickr), Shutterfly and before either of those, Slide. Shutterfly and Photobucket led to the creation of stores such as Walgreen's and Walmart allowing customers to upload their digital photos and videos and order hard copy prints and DVDs.

I don't think a creative commons license means that you take someone else's idea and take credit for the original plan. You should always give credit where credit it due. I don't see anything wrong with improving someone's idea, but give the origianl credit for sparking your imagination.

I try to give credit when I've found something to share with my students, or when I use someone else's idea in my classroom, but I know that teachers are sometimes the worst about giving credit. I'm all for sharing my ideas (when I have one that's creative and good enough to share), but I do like to receive credit so I try to give others credit also.

No comments: