Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #17

I knew of del.icio.us but had never been to the site nor had any desire to go to the site until this class. I knew of tagging but once again had no desire to learn anything about tagging or social bookmarking. Maybe it's because I didn't think I'd find anything I'd like or maybe it's because I just didn't want to take the time to find out how this type of site would be beneficial to me.


However, now that I have taken some time to look into the site, my thoughts have changed and I know that I will look to del.icio.us to find sites with information that interest me. I typed in Green Bay Packers and found a number of sites that have catalogued the Packers history, a site that is nothing but a database of Brett Favre's games (with highlights), and I also found a site that has little known Nascar facts. The Navy even has an RSS for for the USNS Mercy (my brother's ship) so no more waiting for him to call or email.

For my classroom, I looked up moon phases and found several useful sites. There is even a blue moon calculator. 5th graders like to know the meaning of the saying, "Once in a blue moon" so now when I explain to them the meaning of the saying, they can look up when the next blue moon will be. I also found links to photos of glaciers and other landforms as well as clip art that can be used in Science.

Finally, I am going to use the site to bookmark some of my favorite sites so that I don't have to worry about trying to remember them from home to school.

2 comments:

S. Doran said...

I really like your different fonts and colors.

Debbie said...

MISD also offers a staff development on del.icio.us called Social Bookmarking if you are interested in learning more.

BTW..what about that Brett Favre??