Sunday, July 13, 2008

Think #10

I already use Google Reader, so I decided to see if I could find more RSS feeds that I'd want to check each day. I was amazed at what's to offer now. Clearly, RSS feeds are gaining popularity since I first started using them. Before this exercise, I only subscribed to the Green Bay Packers feed, This Day in Science feed, and the USA Today weird news feed.

This time, I was able to add WebMD, ESPN.com (as if I don't listen to ESPN radio or watch ESPN enough), Nascar.com, Cool Cat Teacher Blog, and I also found a feed for parents of Twice Exceptional Children (children with high intelligence and a disability--hers is progressive hearing loss). We've come a long way with her (from thinking she was autistic to finding out the culprit is progressive hearing loss) and this feed is just one of the support systems for parents (well in my case godparents with custody) like me.

I already use the This Day in Science Feed to build and keep my students interest in Science. By the second 6 weeks, my kids are bringing in "Did you know facts" and actually looking for things to share. I also volunteer with a girls mentoring organization for low SES African-American and Hispanic girls so the other feeds that I've signed up for will only increase my resources to help them understand their role and importance in society. I haven't spent much time in Cool Cat Teacher blog, but I will.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I'm so glad you were able to find a personal blog to help keep informed on the Twice Exceptional children. I had not heard that term before. Thanks for the new learning!